[E3-hacking] Fw: I found Cliff Lawson old website about Amstrad

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Sun Apr 7 13:37:49 BST 2019

Hi Nick,

> Can someone who knows Cliff contact him to ask how the Amstrad Emailer
> deactivates itself or locks its features please…? I don’t see why you
> wouldn’t tell us now the device is obsolete

I expect he's probably divulged everything he can recall after quite a
few contacts over the years.

> I need to know how it locks and how it does it, if we know then we
> might be able to find a way to activate, unlock them.

Isn't it the lack of being able to `phone home' that causes it to
deactivate after a while?  I seem to recall discussion on this list
about hooking up a modem in place of the phone line to `take' the call.
`AT+VTS' generates a dial tone?  These days, perhaps a
Asterisk/PoTS/VoIP bit of hardware could do similar.

> Has anyone managed to backed up there NAND from the E3,if so did you
> backup it when the Emailer was activated, if yes to both please can
> you shear it

Good idea.

The older firmware, before it got encrypted, could be disassembled and
studied some more, probably easier now than then with tool advancements,
and the phone-call code found so it can be stubbed out and the firmware
re-programmed.

--
Cheers, Ralph.