[E3-hacking] About connecting to the serial on the E3

Brian Walton brian at riban.co.uk
Thu Apr 4 08:19:35 BST 2019

If the E3 has a TTL serial port as reported here then a USB to TTL serial
adapter should work fine. No need for line drivers or level adjustment, nor
any need for inverters. Just connect it straight through. These USB to TTL
serial are very common and cheap because they don't have the MAX232 (or
similar) conversion chips. Wire:

GND --- GND
TX --- RX
RX --- TX

Do not use a real RS233 port as it will use higher (and lower) voltage and
be inverted.

These cheap USB serial devices are a couple of quid on eBay.

Walt