[E3-hacking] Newbie help please .......

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Fri Feb 8 21:11:59 GMT 2013

On 08/02/13 20:10, Andy Brown wrote:
[...]
> “ kernel panic – not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root FS on unknown
> block(1,0)”
>
> I do get the “penguin” and a load of text on the E3 screen before the
> error, so I rekon I’m not far away.

Yup, that means the Linux kernel is running; it just can't find the root
filesystem. This does mean it's almost working.

I'd hazard a guess that it means it's failed to correctly upload the
initrd image --- it's large and the serial link isn't very reliable.
Does pbltool say anything interesting during the upload process?

You could also try copying the ramdisk image (uncompressed) onto a USB
key and changing the root= parameter to root=/dev/sda or root=/dev/sda1.

I've always had luck using the E3_release_v2 system at
http://the.earth.li/pub/e3 --- this has the advantage that it will also
reflash the device for you, so it'll boot automatically into Linux and
you don't need to use the serial link each time. (Instructions inside
the package.)

│ "Of course, on a sufficiently small planet, 40 km/hr is, in fact,
│ sufficient to punt the elastic spherical cow into low orbit." ---
│ Brooks Moses on r.a.sf.c