[E3-hacking] FW: Factory reset of e3 emailer

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at e3.open.source.it
Fri Nov 5 17:48:50 GMT 2010

On Friday 05 November 2010 at 18:13, SJSD . wrote:

> Folks:
>
> Any suggestions to reset the E3?

I have a nasty suspicion that if the machine has already been used, the
Primary Boot Loader will have been updated to 5.1 (the machines were
generally sold with 4.9 installed, but connecting them to a phone line
prompts an automatic update).

See http://www.earth.li/~noodles/hardware-e3.html for the comment you don't
want to read: "Note that only PBL 4.9 will work at present; PBL 5.1 is known
to have made changes preventing this mode from being entered. If you allow
your E3 to receive updates from Amstrad then it's highly likely it will be
upgraded to PBL 5.1"

I don't know how to find out the PBL version from the machine itself (unless
it's unused, when you can press Setup on the pull-out keyboard as described
at http://inputplus.co.uk/ralph/emailer/e3.html - unfortunately yours is
clearly used), except by connecting a serial cable and talking to it.

That's not hard, though - see http://inputplus.co.uk/ralph/emailer/pbl.html

Hope this helps,

Antony.

--
If you were ploughing a field, which would you rather use - two strong oxen or
1024 chickens?

 - Seymour Cray, pioneer of supercomputing

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.