[E3-hacking] An E3 which thinks it's a Spectrum!

Martin Whitaker e3hacking at whitakernet.com
Thu Feb 15 14:59:25 GMT 2007

> > Could I have  the patches you applied for this,  I would like to try it
out. [:

> > Also,  how did you compile it, i can't find a cross-compiler for ARM9
that
> > actually compiles ?

> I'd also be interested to know how you went about compiling fuse for the
> E3..

Okay, I'll post the patch to Fuse here over the next few days (I do feel
obliged to tidy it up a bit first though!).

With regards to compiling... I've given up with cross compiling - I got fed
up with little things taking hours of faffing to make work. Chris Steel
(also on this mailing list) provided me with a cross compiled rootfs
containing gcc-4.1.1 and glibc-2.5 for native building (although I guess you
could get buildroot to provide you with this - there certainly has been a
working E3 buildroot config at some point). I mount the rootfs over an NFS
mount (from bootup using root=nfs nfsroot=...) and also enable swap over NFS
(it sounds worse than it is). I then configure and build everything
natively.

Most packages configure and compile in under a couple of hours, and so far
very few packages have required any changes to get them to build properly.
Chris suggested I get distcc running to speed things up a bit, so far I
haven't felt the need though.

I'm not saying this is the best way of donig things, however it suits me and
keeps it all at a level I can still understand :-)

This is a list of the packages I've compiled using this method so far (in no
particular order):

DirectFB-1.0.0-rc2
minicom-2.2
freetype-2.3.0
mtd-20050122.orig
fuse-0.7.0
glib-2.12.9
perl-5.8.8
fbset-2.1
jpeg-6b
libpng-1.2.15
zlib-1.2.3
libspectrum-0.2.2
bison-2.3
flex-2.5.33
m4-1.4.8
pkg-config-0.21
findutils-4.2.29
gettext-0.16.1
ncurses-5.6

I can't remember which ones are dependencies to build libspectrum/fuse.

Unfortunatly I can't give anyone an easy recipie to follow to do all of
this - perhaps I ought to do it again from scratch and make proper notes as
I go! I'll try to answer questions if you get stuck though, as I probably
had to deal with the same problems.

Martin.