[E3-hacking] NAND problems

Jonathan McDowell noodles at earth.li
Thu Mar 16 23:20:57 GMT 2006

On Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 12:02:45PM +0000, Mark Underwood wrote:
> I may have worked out why after writing to NAND using our kernel PBL
> tool doesn't load the old stuff from NAND.
>
> I think the problem is to do with the format of the OOB data and/or
> ECC format.
>
> I tried to modify the kernel parameters of the old kernel using our
> kernel and MTD tools rather the PBL tool (as I hadn't updated the NAND
> writing routines). I dumped /dev/mtd1 to my USB stick and created a
> modified version with the changed command line. After flashing my
> modified version of mtd1 to my E3 I power cycled it and it just sat
> there. Fortunately PBL still works and so I booted our kernel and
> re-flashed the original image and power cycled again, but my E3 still
> didn't boot the old kernel.
>
> My guess is that PBL is doing a badblobk check on the flash as it
> searches for images and find's the pages that I have modified are bad
> and thus refuses to load them.

I think you said on IRC you'd been using nandwrite to write the block; I
have successfully written a block containing a MEM and LDR block to
mtdblock1 using dd and had PBL detect and print the details of the MEM
block and seemingly load the LDR block (certainly it stopped scanning
the NAND at the point instead of continuing as it did before I stored
the blocks).

However I haven't yet had luck getting PBL to actually load a LDR block
and spawn u-boot. I'm not sure if it's loading and trying to run it, or
failing to load it, so I think I'm going to have to go back to basics
and start out with a simply "Hello World" LDR replacement to confirm
it's getting loaded so I can work out if it's that or u-boot at fault.

Not quite sure when I'll get round to it. Unfortunately work's been a
bit hectic so far this month and I haven't had as much time as I'd have
liked to get this sorted.

J.

                                            jid: noodles at jabber.earth.li
noodles is angry with him