[E3-hacking] Hello! (and cheap E3s)

Chris Tingley chris at etingley.com
Mon Jan 23 00:37:32 GMT 2006

Hi All,

Thought id quickly introduce myself as a new member!  Im a Masters
student at Reading University UK studying Computer Science and
Cybernetics so the thought of getting all this funky hardware for
such a silly price seemed like a fantastic idea!

I know that on Sunday, Tesco were selling the E3 for £30.  Today when
I went in there to pick one up, they had gone up to £50!  After a
small amount of googling i found that Currys, Dixons, Argos and Toys
r Us are all still doing it for £30 - I will go and get one tomorrow
morning.

I am interested in the software side - being able to run own custom
software on it [ip video phone, skype, home automation controller,
maybe even a normal phone and networked answer machine!] - the
possibilities are quite interesting to what you can do with quite a
cool bit of IO hardware in a convenient form factor.  But the other
great use is just for components - even the screen and camera are
pretty good items to get for 30 quid!

Thats all for now - but if anyone has any suggestions on what i
should start to investigate first with this beast as there is no
point us all working on exactly the same thing.  My low-level
firmware is not great (willing to improve), but i'm ok(ish) with the
hardware side and pretty hot on the higher-level software.

Chris