[E3-hacking] E3 - can a daily reset keep video functionality free?

Jonathan McDowell e3-hacking@earth.li
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:35:20 +0100

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 11:30:21PM +0100, Rahim Nathwani wrote:
> I know this may be slightly off-topic but, having read a few articles
> about this beast (along with a few posts on this list, which I found
> just a few minutes ago), it seems like the E3 would be a really nice
> device to have around as long as it could be kept functional for
> voice/video without making non-geographic calls at night.
>
> Am I right in thinking one could do something like the below?
>
> 1) Buy an E3 (duh!).
> 2) Plug the E3 into an Orchid dialler (LCR box), configured to block any
> calls not to 01/02 numbers.
> 3) Use the phone until the lack of a connection to Amstrad, Thus or whoever
> means that it stops.
> 4) Reset it.*
>
> * I've seen a procedure for resetting the E2, but not the E3.  Is
> there one?

You need to register the phone in order to be able to use it in the
first place, so you'd have to make a call after each reset anyway.

I think there's a distinction to be made about using the E3 as Amstrad
designed, but avoiding their fees (which they're pretty up front about)
and using the hardware for purposes other than they intended, but I
can't quite put my finger on what it is as I suppose both deprive
Amstrad of revenue.

J.

--
noodles is the quick and easy way to go for me