[E3-hacking] Re: The boot process, revealed!

Otaku e3-hacking@earth.li
Sat, 19 Mar 2005 09:42:13 +0000

Hi David.

>+0000: magic1, 0x3B513B51
>+0008: headerlength
>+0014: magic2, 0x00544F42 ("BOT")
>+0064: execaddress
>+0068: magic3, 0xB513B513
>+006c: destination (0x04000000)
>+0070: imagetype
>	0 == plain
>	2 == compressed
>+0074: compressedlength

Aye - that pretty much matches whats on the E3.. only the header runs
from 0x3B513B51 to 0xB513B513. The rest is image specific. fyi : in the
E3 theres over a hundred of these sections - bits containing wavs,
images, etc...
magic2 is the "filename" - theres also a description string in there
somewhere - fixed length/zero filled..
Theres also a simple image crc system there too - you crc the file and
if the result is 0 then its a good image - theres a fix-up byte that
must be introduced to make sure of the zero result..
Once you work out where that is ( or you can just hack the description
:P ), you can either edit the existing image ( simpler under the e3 ),
or reflash completely.

>I've included what I think is a decompilation of the boot logic at the
>end (because it's big and antisocial). Basically, PBL supports both
>compressed and uncompressed images; the data is copied or decompressed
>to the target destination and the execution address called. Couldn't be
>simpler (although the code took me several hours to decipher... god,
>this stuff is hard. I couldn't have done it without Ralph's crib sheet).

What crib sheet ?

>This should be dead easy to write code for.
>
>Next order of business is to try and figure out how to reflash it, and
>then I can give it a try...

Does it do similar keypress checks to the E3 on boot ?
I've a list of about 8 "special function" keys - Only 2 of which I can
activate, so I'm assuming the others require some sort of special
circumstance to be available - I'm still working through the disassembly
on this..
Cheers
    Jake