[E3-hacking] Cheap PL2303 cable @ Ebuyer

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Wed Jul 13 15:56:24 BST 2005

On Wednesday 13 July 2005 14:07, Matt Evans wrote:
[...]
> :-)  It says the inputs are always 5V-tolerant.  So, it will probably
> Just Work - cross the voltage-too-low bridge if you come to it.
> (Modify the cable to run I/O at 5V rather than 3.3V if necessary.)

Actually, it never occurred to me that it might be in danger --- the idea of a
USB slave chipset that can't cope with 5V inputs is a bit bizarre, given that
USB is all 5V!

(In fact, I'm a little bemused about why the PL2303 is powered off 3.3V.)

Looking closely at the PCB it actually looks like quite a nice little thing;
there are pads for all the output signals, so if you want DTR or RTS they're
available, and there's a whole bunch of diagnostic pads of unknown purpose.
There's also a 8-pin IC blank and a six-pin jumper blank. I suspect this is
for the PL2303's configuration EEPROM. There's definite hacking possibilities
here.

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "There are two major products that come out of
+- www.cowlark.com --+