Subject: [E3-hacking] Sound working!

From: Mark Underwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 22:44:52 +0100 (BST)

Just thought I would let everyone know that sound now works (capture and playback). I'll clean up
my work and post it tomorrow.

Mark

___________________________________________________________ 
Switch an email account to Yahoo! Mail, you could win FIFA World Cup tickets. http://uk.mail.yahoo.com

---

From: Jonathan McDowell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 18:16:28 +0100

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 10:44:52PM +0100, Mark Underwood wrote:
> Just thought I would let everyone know that sound now works (capture
> and playback). I'll clean up my work and post it tomorrow.

Has anyone else had success with capture? I've managed to get linphone
letting me hear a VOIP conversation ok, but nothing I say goes out.
arecord doesn't even get as far as trying to record.

I've been playing with "vm" from mgetty+voice and have got it recording
and playing back over both the handset and the internal mic/speaker
using the modem. Were you sniffing the traffic to the codec and if so
might playing with vm help you out?

J.

-- 
/-\                             |      I don't steal taglines, I
|@/  Debian GNU/Linux Developer |           replicate them.
\-                              |

---

From: Mark Underwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 21:50:11 +0100 (BST)

> arecord doesn't even get as far as trying to record.

I was using rawplay & rawrec and captured sound using my sound driver without any problems (using
the mic on the main unit). I haven't tried running the sound driver in duplex.

> might playing with vm help you out?

Yes. I'll have a look at this tomorrow as I really want to get this sound stuff finished and
reassemble my E3 :-). Also, once the sound is finished I'll try to push in to the OMAP list,
unless you want to wait for a bit and we push all the new work at once.

Thanks,

Mark

> _______________________________________________
> e3-hacking mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://www.earth.li/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/e3-hacking
> 

___________________________________________________________ 
The all-new Yahoo! Mail goes wherever you go - free your email address from your Internet provider. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html

---

From: Jonathan McDowell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 22:30:21 +0100

On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 09:50:11PM +0100, Mark Underwood wrote:
> > > Just thought I would let everyone know that sound now works
> > > (capture and playback). I'll clean up my work and post it
> > > tomorrow.
> > 
> > Has anyone else had success with capture? I've managed to get
> > linphone letting me hear a VOIP conversation ok, but nothing I say
> > goes out.  arecord doesn't even get as far as trying to record.
> 
> I was using rawplay & rawrec and captured sound using my sound driver
> without any problems (using the mic on the main unit). I haven't tried
> running the sound driver in duplex.

I will have another play then once I've built rawplay/rawrec. Though the
main unit mic isn't as useful to me as the handset. :)

> > I've been playing with "vm" from mgetty+voice and have got it
> > recording and playing back over both the handset and the internal
> > mic/speaker using the modem. Were you sniffing the traffic to the
> > codec and if so might playing with vm help you out?
> 
> Yes. I'll have a look at this tomorrow as I really want to get this
> sound stuff finished and reassemble my E3 :-).

Sound is the major piece of the puzzle left as far as I can tell. If we
had a full duplex ALSA driver I believe I'd be able to use the E3 as a
VOIP phone now.

For vm you need to make sure you "forceV253 on" otherwise the modem gets
detected as a Rockwell and vm isn't happy.

> Also, once the sound is finished I'll try to push in to the OMAP list,

If it's ready then push it; I've been pushing bits and pieces that are
ready rather than doing it all at once. The only area that's likely to
conflict patchwise is adding the platform device to board-ams-delta.c

Currently:

* Base support is in mainline.
* The omap tree adds USB support.
* LED support using the framework added in 2.6.17-rcX is in -mm and 
  should be submitted for 2.6.18-rc1 by Andrew Morton
* NAND support is in the linux-mtd tree and I'm hoping they'll submit it
  to mainline for 2.6.18-rc1
* Your 444 patch is in the omap tree.

I've re-submitted the framebuffer patch to the omap list but not heard
anything yet.

That leaves:

* The keypad patch, which I'll rebase and submit after 2.6.17
  releases probably.
* Matt C's keyboard patch, which conflicts with the gpio-switch driver
  and needs the keymap updated with David Given's mapping I think?
* Sound
* Camera - Matt C has this capturing images I believe?
* Modem; I think I need to ask the serial guys about the cleanest way to
  register this, but it should be a trivial patch to get the OMAP tree
  to take.
* smartcard reader; no one's touched this that I know of? I plan to once
  everything else is happy, if no one gets to it first.

That's it for hardware support, isn't it?

David Ford's base OpenEmbedded patches were committed a few weeks ago,
so it's possible to build a rootfs using OE without much hassle beyond
getting OE up and running. I did produce a new release that should
install everything you need to get the E3 standalone booting, but the
only report I've had hasn't been successful, so it's not recommended
unless you know what you're doing. It can be found alongside the
original release at:

http://the.earth.li/pub/e3/

J.

-- 
noodles is one of the most popular  |       Black Cat Networks Ltd
      food all over the world       | http://www.blackcatnetworks.co.uk/
                                    |  UK Web, domain and email hosting