Subject: [E3-hacking] Current status

From: Antony Stone <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 13:38:10 +0100

Hi.

I've seen plenty of posts on the list recently showing progress with support 
for various parts of the E3 in the Linux kernel (which is great, thanks to 
all those involved).

Can anyone give me an end-user's summary of what the current status of running 
Linux (and various applications) on the E3 is?  I've had mine running 
previously, following instructions which must be well out of date by now, so 
what's the best starting point for installing a system now, and how much of 
the hardware can I expect to have working, given the recent advances we've 
seen here?

If there's a website I haven't found yet which outlines this information, 
please accept my apologies for asking here and just post the URL so I can 
look it up for myself.

Thanks,

Antony.

-- 
Wanted: telepath.   You know where to apply.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.

---

From: Janusz Krzysztofik <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 20:01:37 +0200

Friday 09 April 2010 14:38:10 Antony Stone wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I've seen plenty of posts on the list recently showing progress with
> support for various parts of the E3 in the Linux kernel (which is great,
> thanks to all those involved).
>
> Can anyone give me an end-user's summary of what the current status of
> running Linux (and various applications) on the E3 is?  I've had mine
> running previously, following instructions which must be well out of date
> by now, so what's the best starting point for installing a system now,

Hi Antony,

Personally, I still follow those old instructions when installing and booting 
my customized Angstrom distribution that I build myself using OpenEmbedded (I 
am still learning it). Have a look at this post: 
http://www.earth.li/pipermail/e3-hacking/2009-August/000924.html

Installing Debian on an add-on usb stick, then replacing its kernel with a 
self-compiled more recent one, is probably another option, maybe more easy to 
accomplish.

BTW, there is a bug in linux 2.6.33 that prevents the hook switch from working 
correctly unless the work-in-progress FIQ/keyboard patches are applied. For 
now, you can use this patch to correct the problem (it will hopefully be 
integrated in 2.6.34, maybe in later 2.6.33 revisions too): 
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/90615/.

> and 
> how much of the hardware can I expect to have working, given the recent
> advances we've seen here?

I use my E3 as an IP phone, running a patched[1] asterisk softpbx with alsa 
console channel enabled. The daemon is controlled from the keypad and the 
hook switch by the slightly patched[2] lircd and its irexec daemon, that 
places asterisk console commands to its socket and launches custom scripts 
that also control audio mixer and leds appropriately. And with additional 
help of a patched[3] mplayer, being able to display live video pictures from 
my cheep IP cameras on the recently patched[4] E3 LCD display, I'm already 
able to use the E3 in my SIP enabled video door phone system as well.

I'm going to post more details here when it all gets more stable.

> please accept my apologies for asking here and just post the URL so I can

I'm not aware of any that has been updated recently. You probably have to 
browse this list archives for now.

Thanks,
Janusz

[1] http://www.earth.li/pipermail/e3-hacking/2009-August/000923.html
[2] http://www.earth.li/pipermail/e3-hacking/2009-August/000922.html
[3] http://www.earth.li/pipermail/e3-hacking/2010-April/001004.html, hopefully 
    integrated soon
[4] https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/72933/, hopefully included in 2.6.34

---

From: Janusz Krzysztofik <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 19:51:03 +0200

Saturday 17 April 2010 20:01:37 Janusz Krzysztofik napisał(a):
> Personally, I still follow those old instructions when installing and
> booting my customized Angstrom distribution that I build myself using
> OpenEmbedded (I am still learning it). Have a look at this post:
> self-compiled more recent one, is probably another option, maybe more easy
> to accomplish.
>
> BTW, there is a bug in linux 2.6.33 that prevents the hook switch from
> working correctly unless the work-in-progress FIQ/keyboard patches are
> applied.

It's the modem, and the audio mixer that depends on it, that don't work 
correctly, not the hook switch, sorry.

Janusz

> For now, you can use this patch to correct the problem (it will 
> hopefully be integrated in 2.6.34, maybe in later 2.6.33 revisions too):
> help of a patched[3] mplayer, being able to display live video pictures
> from my cheep IP cameras on the recently patched[4] E3 LCD display, I'm
> already able to use the E3 in my SIP enabled video door phone system as
> well.
>
> [3] http://www.earth.li/pipermail/e3-hacking/2010-April/001004.html,
> hopefully integrated soon