Subject: [E3-hacking] Networking

From: "David J. Singer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 00:01:24 +0000

I've just been playing with a "Pegasus II" type USB -> ethernet dongle on the 
E3.   It's quite neat having an internet connection on it!  I've been 
browsing the web using the "links" browser :)

Is this the way others are networking their E3s?  Or are people just accessing 
them via the serial line.   It's would certainly be handy to NFS mount the 
root directory...!  

-- 
David J. Singer
[email-masked]
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana"

---

From: "Piotr Michniewski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 01:07:17 +0200

Well, I'm using a USB Bluetooth dongle and it works quite nice...

2006/5/24, David J. Singer <[email-masked]>:
> _______________________________________________
> e3-hacking mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://www.earth.li/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/e3-hacking
>

-- 
Piotr Michniewski

---

From: David Given <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 00:35:08 +0100

> browsing the web using the "links" browser :)

Yeah, I had w3m going under Debian with an RTL8150-based ethernet widget. It
worked surprisingly well. I also have a couple of wireless ethernet widgets,
but they require fiddly firmware to make work and I haven't tried.

...I'm actually thinking that one of the best uses for my E3 is as a terminal
for my house server, which is an ARM-based NSLU2 running Debian. Both devices
have non-level-shifted serial ports, although I might need an inverter. Given
that I have two low-end ARM devices, I'm also wondering whether networking
them together with OpenMosix might actually achieve anything, other than hack
value...

-- 
+- David Given --McQ-+ "Gaping from its single obling socket was
|  [email-masked]    | scintillating, many fauceted scarlet emerald..."
| ([email-masked]) | --- Jim Theis, _The Eye of Argon_ (spelling
+- www.cowlark.com --+ original)

---

From: Matt Callow <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 08:42:16 +0100

>them via the serial line.   It's would certainly be handy to NFS mount the 
I use a Linksys USB100TX with the pegasus driver. I have also used a
Linksys WUSB11 v2.8  WiFi adapter with the berlios at76c503 driver and
that works fine.
I mount my root filesystem over nfs, which works as long as you remember
to mount using tcp rather than udp (for some reason, udp seems to hang
on larger transfers)

Matt