Subject: [E3-hacking] pblq 'n' stuff

From: David Given <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 11:23:59 +0100

My E2 is still in a box. Somewhere. I currently have other things on my mind, 
such as getting my hot water working...

Do we have a CVS (or other) repository anywhere that I can upload pblq to, in 
the meantime? There's stuff that needs doing to it, like support for the 
execute-code command that Otaku found, and the E3 support that... uh... 
someone hacked in (sorry, I can't find the message), and I don't think I'm 
going to be doing anything with it any time soon.

Plus, at some stage I presume people are going to want to start hacking 
ucLinux or big Linux...

-- 
+- David Given --McQ-+ "Under communism, man exploits man. Under
|  [email-masked]    | capitalism, it's just the opposite." --- John
| ([email-masked]) | Kenneth Galbrith
+- www.cowlark.com --+

---

From: Matt Evans <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 11:49:23 +0100

> going to be doing anything with it any time soon.

Seconded, I'd like a CVS server for all our bits.  (Though am in no 
place to set one up unfort. - sourceforge?)

> Plus, at some stage I presume people are going to want to start hacking

Speaking of which, I've 'started' hacking LH79531/E2 support into the 
2.6.11-hsc0 uclinux tree; I've just basically done the build/directory 
tree (i.e. not much) and I'll need to do the IRQ/timer stuff before 
it'll go anywhere.  And do something about serial...  But the good news 
is there appears to be a USB driver for the Cypress USB host chip on 
the E2.

I hope to get somewhere at the weekend when I might have some time.  
(Famous last words these days :( )

Cheers,

Matt

---

From: David Given <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 12:25:59 +0100

On Friday 27 May 2005 11:49, Matt Evans wrote:
[...]
> place to set one up unfort. - sourceforge?)

I'm an SF developer and have a bunch of projects there, and it works really 
nicely, although if we created a project I'd rather someone else did it (I'm 
already admining a bunch).

But is there anywhere more appropriate? http://cvs.uclinux.org, for example?

[...]
> is there appears to be a USB driver for the Cypress USB host chip on

Huzzah. If we can get that working, then we can get huge numbers of devices 
working, including networking. And *that* would be very cool.

(I did have a look at porting ucLinux, but frankly, delving that deep into 
Linux gives me the heebie jeebies, and I port operating systems in my day 
job... when you get that far down, you find yourself spotting all the rough 
edges and cruft in Linux's design. I'd much rather tackle a BSD, but they all 
require MMUs.)

Is there a Linux driver for the sound codec?
-- 
+- David Given --McQ-+ "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty
|  [email-masked]    | specific things to say about killing?" "Quite
| ([email-masked]) | specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the
+- www.cowlark.com --+ subject of kneecaps." --- Firefly, _War Stories_

---

From: en4rab <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 10:32:06 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all,
I have finally gotten round to building my max3232 interface for the
E2's exp port, it seems to be working just fine running at 3v which i
took from the 3v supply on the E2's board which i used for my Jtag leads
Vref as well.
But I have an issue with dumping the NAND flash, Im sure its just me
being half asleep but what command should i be using to back up the
entire 8MB of flash?
I have compile pblq-02 but when I run:
./pblq readflash flash.bin 0x0 0x7FFFFF 
I get an error about the size not being divisible by 512, and if i try
using a size of 0x800000 i get an error about an invalid size.

Id be extremely gratefull if someone could point out my no doubt stupid
mistake and tell me what i should be doing to save the entire flash
image so i can have a backup of my E2.

Thankyou
en4rab

--
|     .-.   [email-masked]
|    /   \         .-.
|   /     \       /   \       .-.     .-.     _   _
+--/-------\-----/-----\-----/---\---/---\---/-\-/-\/\/---
| /         \   /       \   /     '-'     '-'
|/           '-'         '-'  -END OF TRANSMISSION-

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com

---

From: David Given <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 18:47:13 +0100

On Saturday 04 June 2005 18:32, en4rab wrote:
[...]
> using a size of 0x800000 i get an error about an invalid size.

D'oh! That's my fault.

Line 142 of src/checksum.cc; change the obvious 0x7FFFFF to 0x800000.

Incidentally, you probably don't want to be using pblq to download the entire 
flash. The mechanism it uses to read the flash is extremely cludgy and 
horribly slow (we're talking 66 to 100 bytes per second).

You're far better off using pblq to save the first 64kB of flash, downloading 
Matt's shell into it, and then using that to get the rest --- it's much 
faster. You might even by able to download it into RAM and run it there --- 
Matt?

-- 
"Curses! Foiled by the chilled dairy treats of righteousness!" --- Earthworm 
Jim (evil)

---

From: Matt Evans <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 11:07:58 -0700

> faster. You might even by able to download it into RAM and run it 

If you can get xmodem to work properly :(  (I'm interested in 
success/fail stories on this)

But yes - if you can download it anywhere then jump to the first instr. 
(this is monitor.bin not monitor.pbl) it'll wake up.

-Matt