Subject: [E3-hacking] An E3 which thinks it's a Spectrum!

From: "Martin Whitaker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 22:16:53 -0000

I've been playing with the E3 some more and couldn't resist compiling
libspectrum and Fuse for it (from
http://fuse-emulator.sourceforge.net/fuse.php).

It runs it at about original speed, however it's going flat-out doing that
and increasing the emulation speed above 100% seems to make little
difference.

A couple of screen-shots are at:

http://www.whitakernet.com/e3/spectrum_on_e3_1.jpg
http://www.whitakernet.com/e3/spectrum_on_e3_2.jpg

I had to make a few simple changes to Fuse to get it to work with the
strange resolution framebuffer of the e3. If anyone wants to build Fuse
themselves let me know and I'll post the patches here.

All of this is totally pointless, of course, but it bought back memories
typing single-keystroke commands using a rubber keyboard!!!

---

From: "Matt Callow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 22:45:43 +1100

> typing single-keystroke commands using a rubber keyboard!!!
I wonder if that's the same emulator that Amstrad use?
I don't suppose the sound works? Still nice work

Matt

---

From: Ralph Corderoy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:05:07 +0000

Hi Martin,

> http://fuse-emulator.sourceforge.net/fuse.php).

Nice work.

On a related note, my local Currys hda E3s on sale for GBP4.97
yesterday.  It's not too late to get your loved one that special St.
Valentine's gift!  :-)

Cheers,

Ralph.

---

From: Philip Kendall <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:13:28 +0000

> themselves let me know and I'll post the patches here.

I'd certainly be interested :-)

In response to elsewhere, I don't believe that Fuse is what Amstrad use:
certainly nobody ever talked to me about it, and I see no offer to make
the source available.

Cheers,

Phil (Fuse author...)

-- 
  Philip Kendall <[email-masked]>
  http://www.shadowmagic.org.uk/

---

From: "Martin Whitaker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 18:15:16 -0000

> ...

Argh!! It's a small world! I better tidy up my dirty hacks before any
posting takes
place now....

Seriously though... nice work on libspectrum & fuse. Your code must be
pretty
efficient for it to be able to run on the E3 at anywhere near the original
speed.

---

From: Ralph Corderoy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 18:47:03 +0000

Hi,

> yesterday.  It's not too late to get your loved one that special St.

I got this wrong.  On a visit tonight I realised they were E2s, not E3s.
There were no E3s on sale in the store.

Apologies to anyone who had a wasted trip.

Did anything come of someone's attempt to get ucLinux running on the E2?
They popped up on this list at one point IIRC.  An E2 as an around the
house terminal/intercom for GBP5 would still be interesting.

Cheers,

Ralph.

---

From: David Given <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 19:05:35 +0000

Ralph Corderoy wrote:
[...]
> house terminal/intercom for GBP5 would still be interesting.

I'm not planning on uCLinux, but I would like to get my E2 doing something
useful. My plan has, though, gotten a little sidetracked --- I'm currently
porting a compiler for it.

(I'd really like a real microkernel like L4 rather than uCLinux, but
unfortunately all microkernels I've found seem to require MMUs. *shrug*)

-- 
┌── ｄｇ＠ｃｏｗｌａｒｋ．ｃｏｍ ─── http://www.cowlark.com ───────────────────
│
│ "The first 90% of the code takes the first 90% of the time. The other 10%
│ takes the other 90% of the time." --- Anonymous