Subject: [E3-hacking] E3's Internal Storage

From: "ZudoBug2 ." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2019 08:45:12 +0100

Hi,
I have an E3 that's still in its factory state (PBL V4.9 and never
registered with Amstrad). It can boot into BusyBox Linux as per the
instructions at https://wiki.earth.li/E3_Getting_Started

Is it possible to access the E3's internal storage from the BusyBox command
line?
I am curious to read some of the config files etc.

As an aside, I noticed that the E3's OS includes a driver for my "Pegasus
II" USB Ethernet adapter, so I tried connecting this before power-up. The
E3 doesn't obtain an IP address automatically via DHCP, but I wonder if it
assigns a fixed IP that might permit access, for example via SSH?

There also seems to be a driver for a Belkin USB serial adapter (but I
don't have one to test it with). Anyone tried connecting one of these?

Thanks,
Jamie.

---

From: David Given <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2019 11:11:30 +0200

The internal storage should be visible via the /dev/mtd devices --- it's
raw flash rather than a normal block device, and you'll need flash-specific
tools or a flash-specific filesystem like JFFS. However, AFAIK the stock
firmware's filesystem is custom and hasn't been reverse engineered yet. (No
effort was put into this back in the day because we didn't want to get
Amstrad angry. They were selling E3s under cost, after all.)

Re ethernet: have you tried manually configuring an IP address with
ifconfig? And it's worth looking to see if a copy of dhcpd is on the
filesystem somewhere.

Never tried a serial adapter.

On Wed, 29 May 2019 at 09:45, ZudoBug2 . <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Is it possible to access the E3's internal storage from the BusyBox
> command line?
> _______________________________________________
> e3-hacking mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.earth.li/mailman/listinfo/e3-hacking
>

-- 
┌─── http://www.cowlark.com ───
│ "I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my
│ telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out
│ how to use my telephone." --- Bjarne Stroustrup