Subject: [E3-hacking] E3 Emailer

From: "Gerard Jemitus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 00:10:51 +0100

Hi Everyone,

I know you're mainly into more esoteric hacking on this phone, but as a starter..... is it possible to get rid of the automated daily email calls, and just use it as a phone, forget all the overpriced email, sms etc...... I know you can reduce the frequency of the calls, but how about getting rid of them completely??? Any ideas??

Gerry

---

From: David Given <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 01:34:38 +0100

Gerard Jemitus wrote:
[...]
> *I know you're mainly into more esoteric hacking on this phone, but as a
> starter..... is it possible to get rid of the automated daily email
> calls, and just use it as a phone, forget all the overpriced email, sms
> etc...... **I know you can reduce the frequency of the calls, but how
> about getting rid of them completely??? Any ideas??*

Nah, we tend to just rip out Amstrad's software completely and replace it. You
could probably set something up involving another computer and a modem which
pretended to be Amstrad's server, but I doubt it would be worth the effort.

Incidentally, the daily call is to a freephone number --- IIRC, the emailer
will never charge you money unless you press the Send/Receive button. The
email notification flashing light is done using a nifty caller-ID trick which
doesn't involve making an actual telephone call. So provided you let it
download its advertisements, it should go on working as a simple phone
indefinitely.

-- 
+- David Given --McQ-+ "Gaping from its single obling socket was
|  [email-masked]    | scintillating, many fauceted scarlet emerald..."
| ([email-masked]) | --- Jim Theis, _The Eye of Argon_ (spelling
+- www.cowlark.com --+ original)

---

From: gizmohacker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 07:15:17 +0100

Hey Chaps.

Thought this list was dead :(

Any solution yet for those of us with the later PBL?   Perhaps using jtag  
or other means (flash using board test pads)?

Would be nice to finally start coding for this device.

Wizdom

---

From: "Gerard Jemitus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 10:22:19 +0100

Hi David,

Thanks for the info

Gerry

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "David Given" <[email-masked]>
To: "Discussion of the Amstrad E3 emailer hardware/software" 
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2006 1:34 AM
Subject: Re: [E3-hacking] E3 Emailer

_______________________________________________
e3-hacking mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.earth.li/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/e3-hacking

__________ NOD32 1.1663 (20060716) Information __________

This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.
http://www.eset.com

---

From: Jonathan McDowell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 11:15:10 +0100

> Thought this list was dead :(

No, I think we're all still here. :) I believe sound is still the major
piece of the puzzle that's missing; I still haven't got round to trying
rawrec to see if recording is working on my unit. I've updated some of
my patches to 2.6.17 (available in the usual place), but not all yet.

> Any solution yet for those of us with the later PBL?   Perhaps using
> jtag or other means (flash using board test pads)?

Not that I know of. OOI, did your unit come new with the later PBL, or
has it been connected up to the phone line and done an update?
 
J.

-- 
noodles is a green buckwheat noodle colored and flavored with green tea

---

From: "Kevin O'Donovan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 10:32:34 +0100

Can anyone confirm that? I like the emailers for the combination of easy to
use address book and the digital answering machine - I've not seen anything
else that combines the two so well. I don't use the email at all - even if
it wasn't overpriced, I've got my own mailserver at home, so... I'd like to
upgrade to the E3 at home, and also buy one for work, but at home I refuse
to pay for so frequent calls for a service I'm not using, and at work
premium calls require going through an operator. The emailer I've got at
home certainly does involve paying for the email checks, and I was under the
impression that the E3 was the same, except with a more frequent minimum
period for calling home. I realise the cost of the E3 is subsidised, but I
for one would welcome the chance to pay more for a version that didn't have
the limitiations...

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: David Given [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 16 July 2006 01:35
To: Discussion of the Amstrad E3 emailer hardware/software
Subject: Re: [E3-hacking] E3 Emailer

Gerard Jemitus wrote:
[...]
> *I know you're mainly into more esoteric hacking on this phone, but as 
> a starter..... is it possible to get rid of the automated daily email 
> calls, and just use it as a phone, forget all the overpriced email, 
> sms etc...... **I know you can reduce the frequency of the calls, but 
> how about getting rid of them completely??? Any ideas??*

Nah, we tend to just rip out Amstrad's software completely and replace it.
You could probably set something up involving another computer and a modem
which pretended to be Amstrad's server, but I doubt it would be worth the
effort.

Incidentally, the daily call is to a freephone number --- IIRC, the emailer
will never charge you money unless you press the Send/Receive button. The
email notification flashing light is done using a nifty caller-ID trick
which doesn't involve making an actual telephone call. So provided you let
it download its advertisements, it should go on working as a simple phone
indefinitely.

---

From: David Given <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 10:45:25 +0100

Kevin O'Donovan wrote:
[...]
> The emailer I've got at
> period for calling home.

According to the manual, the emailer, by default, attempts to do a
send-and-receive daily, but you ought to be able to change this. It
*also* calls a freephone number in the middle of the night to update its
adverts; you can't turn that off, and if you prevent it from doing this,
it'll stop working. And then as a third thing there's the caller-ID
trick tells it whether there's email waiting, which doesn't cost anything.

-- 
+- David Given --McQ-+ "You cannot truly appreciate _Atlas Shrugged_
|  [email-masked]    | until you have read it in the original Klingon."
| ([email-masked]) | --- Sea Wasp on r.a.sf.w
+- www.cowlark.com --+

---

From: Jonathan McDowell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 10:48:15 +0100

On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 10:45:25AM +0100, David Given wrote:
> send-and-receive daily, but you ought to be able to change this.

I'm pretty sure you can't stop the daily premium rate call, given that
this is how Amstrad make back their subsidy.

J.

-- 
         I'd love to but... I'm having all my plants neutered.
      Ask me about server co-location - [email-masked]

---

From: "Gerard Jemitus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 10:56:29 +0100

I only just registered my E3 on Saturday night, but following Davids email 
re the CLI trick, I set it to receive automatic email notification. So far, 
it's made just one 0800 call to get adverts, but hasn't attempted to make 
any premium rate calls...... so, fingers crossed...... keep you posted

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Kevin O'Donovan" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Discussion of the Amstrad E3 emailer hardware/software'" 
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 10:32 AM
Subject: RE: [E3-hacking] E3 Emailer

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: David Given [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 16 July 2006 01:35
To: Discussion of the Amstrad E3 emailer hardware/software
Subject: Re: [E3-hacking] E3 Emailer

Gerard Jemitus wrote:
[...]

---

From: "Kevin O'Donovan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 12:51:01 +0100

>From what Cliff said, it sounds like it will. It's a real shame there isn't
an option to buy an unsubsidised one, but I can see why amstrad might not
want to take that route. If my emailer had been dialling out daily since I
bought it, it would have cost me about £250 by now, since it was about £100
to buy back then. 

Kev

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin O'Donovan" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Discussion of the Amstrad E3 emailer hardware/software'" 
<[email-masked]>

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: David Given [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 16 July 2006 01:35
To: Discussion of the Amstrad E3 emailer hardware/software
Subject: Re: [E3-hacking] E3 Emailer

Gerard Jemitus wrote:
[...]

---

From: "Gerard Jemitus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 12:57:22 +0100

Yes, I spoke too soon. It's made the call, and now thinks I have an email 
message..... although from the email address I made up, goodness only knows 
who from. Probably a welcome message from Alan Sugar !!

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Kevin O'Donovan" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Discussion of the Amstrad E3 emailer hardware/software'" 
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 12:51 PM
Subject: RE: [E3-hacking] E3 Emailer

Kev

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin O'Donovan" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Discussion of the Amstrad E3 emailer hardware/software'"
<[email-masked]>

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: David Given [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 16 July 2006 01:35
To: Discussion of the Amstrad E3 emailer hardware/software
Subject: Re: [E3-hacking] E3 Emailer

Gerard Jemitus wrote:
[...]