Subject: [E3-hacking] emailer plus

From: Oliver Pinson-Roxburgh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 15:57:59 +0000

Hi

has anyone documented the entire process for hacking the Emailer plus?
I have just bought one from Tesco's for £9.99 and i wanted to have a
play around with it as a linux rig.

Cheers in advanced

---

From: Matt Evans <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 21:12:26 +0000

Hi Oliver,

Matt Wright has kindly set up a wiki on which we've been trying to  
collate the various bits of information about the E2.

Try http://scimitar.consultmatt.co.uk/e2wiki/

I've bought a couple more too, since they're now so cheap ;)

Basically it's possible to download/develop your own code on them  
relatively easily.  However, linux-wise, we'll have to run uClinux as  
the Sharp chip in use doesn't have a traditional MMU.  As far as I  
know there hasn't been any movement on porting uClinux (someone  
mentioned they had half a port in the works, and I'd also made a half- 
arsed start at it).

Cheers,

Matt

On 31 Jan 2006, at 15:57, Oliver Pinson-Roxburgh wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> e3-hacking mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://www.earth.li/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/e3-hacking
>

---

From: David Given <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 00:13:30 +0000

On Tuesday 31 January 2006 21:12, Matt Evans wrote:
[...]
> mentioned they had half a port in the works, and I'd also made a half-

Minix 3 might also be a viable option; it should run a whole lot better in the 
very limited RAM, and it's much more limited process model should be able to 
cope with a non-MMU-based system.

For what I want to do with it, though, I'm rather more interested in writing a 
single binary that runs on the bare metal... Jasmine, you've dealt with OMAP 
boards. Can you get an off-the-shelf (free) gcc cross-compilation system that 
deals with all the irritating libc details? If so, any pointers?

-- 
+- David Given --McQ-+ 
|  [email-masked]    | ACRONYM: A Contrived Reduction of Nomenclature
| ([email-masked]) | Yielding Mnemonics
+- www.cowlark.com --+

---

From: Jasmine Strong <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 01:16:54 +0100

> deals with all the irritating libc details? If so, any pointers?

I'd look at using uClibc with a crosstool-built toolchain, and  
building with -static.

-J.

---

From: Matt Evans <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 10:45:54 +0000

> cope with a non-MMU-based system.

Excuse my suspicion ( ;-) ), but I was considering uClinux because:

- It currently runs on ARM7 devices (though not the LH79531, but it's  
close)
- There is hope of not having to write a USB stack myself (and  
there's driver for the Cypress USB host chip)

:)  So I think I/people would find uCLinux more immediately useful  
(networking, USB, etc.) though having said that Minix 3 does look  
interesting (in a future-developments sense).  Keep us posted on the  
port! :):)

Matt