Subject: [E3-hacking] Newbie networking problems

From: Andy Collins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 13:34:13 +0100

Hi Folks,

I've just received my first E3 and I'm cramming up on the info trying to 
get going.

I've followed the info in the wiki about getting started and I get boot 
it up over the serial port now without a problem.

My next milestone is to get t nrtworking and this is where I'm coming 
adrift. I've got a USB-ethernet adapter that is based on the ADM8515 
chipset. When I plug it in I see...

usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using ohci and address 3
usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

and that's all. I think that the driver for the Pegasus will work with 
this chipset (though I may be wrong).

dmesg gives me the following with regard to networking...

usbcore: registered new driver catc
drivers/usb/net/catc.c: v2.8 CATC EL1210A NetMate USB Ethernet driver
usbcore: registered new driver kaweth
pegasus: v0.6.13 (2005/11/13), Pegasus/Pegasus II USB Ethernet driver
usbcore: registered new driver pegasus
drivers/usb/net/rtl8150.c: rtl8150 based usb-ethernet driver v0.6.2 
(2004/08/27)
usbcore: registered new driver rtl8150

So that's as far as I've got. I can't see /dev/eth0, which I would 
expect. ifconfig just shows my loopback device (should it show more?)

Please folks, what do I need to do next to get in on the network?

Thanks.

Andy.

---

From: David Given <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 14:16:35 +0100

Andy Collins wrote:
[...]
> expect. ifconfig just shows my loopback device (should it show more?)

On Linux ethernet devices don't get device nodes, so you won't see any network
devices in /dev. Also, ifconfig will only show you configured ethernet devices
(unless you ask it to show you them all); since your new USB device isn't
configured, it's not showing up on the list.

What you need to do is:

ifconfig -a

...which will tell you the name of the network device, and then:

ifconfig [name] up [ipaddress] netmask [netmask] gw [gateway]

...to configure it. From there it ought to work, though you may need to tweak
the routing table (use the 'route' command) and the DNS setup
(/etc/resolv.conf) first.

- --
┌── ｄｇ＠ｃｏｗｌａｒｋ．ｃｏｍ ─── http://www.cowlark.com ───────────────────
│ "Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children,
│ practice withcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians." --- Rev. Pat
│ Robertson

---

From: Don Alexander <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 14:20:21 +0100

Andy Collins wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I've just received my first E3 and I'm cramming up on the info trying
> to get going.
>
> I've followed the info in the wiki about getting started and I get
> boot it up over the serial port now without a problem.
>

Umm never seen a /dev/ethx device ever so I think you assumption is
wrong  there ;) have you tried ifconfig -a ? If that says the device is
not found it means /proc/sys/net does not contain a device (ethx , usbx
, rausbx etc)

If it comes up with a valid interface then configure it by hand and see
if it works.

ifconfig ethx <ip-address>

Don't forget to set up a route to your gateway either ,

route add default gw <gw-ip-add>

Let us know how you get on.

-- 
==

Don Alexander

E3 Development & tweaking ;)

RooSoft Ltd

---

From: Andy Collins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 19:50:43 +0100

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of the replies.

I should point out that I'm using the kernel, rootfs and pbl  
mentioned in the wiki...
http://the.earth.li/pub/e3/2.6.15/rootfs.arm_nofpu.ext2.gz
http://the.earth.li/pub/e3/2.6.15/u-boot.bin
http://the.earth.li/pub/e3/2.6.16/uImage-2.6.16-omap2-e3
http://the.earth.li/pub/e3/2.6.16/linux.pbl

ifconfig -a just shows the loopback device so it seems that something  
funny is going on. When I did a search for ADM8515 linux I found a  
link to the file pegasus.h which suggests that the pegasus driver can  
cut-it with this chip-set. Do you think I'm reading this correctly?

My assumption was that if the kernel had the modules loaded and I  
plugged the drive in, it should show up somewhere but ipconfig  
doesn't spot it. Do I need to do something else?

Thanks for the input, it's nice to be welcomed :-)

All the best.

Andy.

On 24 Apr 2007, at 14:16, David Given wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> Andy Collins wrote:
> [...]
> ┌── ｄｇ＠ｃｏｗｌａｒｋ．ｃｏｍ ───  
> http://www.cowlark.com  
> ───────────────────
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
> Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
>
> iD8DBQFGLgMyf9E0noFvlzgRAmR7AJkBptX93p3Zkw6GXzg3v8Zd29mUYACffqrl
> riYfAKl18LyJc9D7AJCVwbA=
> =Yhe4
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> e3-hacking mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://www.earth.li/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/e3-hacking
>

---

From: David Reynolds <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 20:12:53 +0100

Andu,

On 24 Apr 2007, at 1:34 pm, Andy Collins wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I've just received my first E3 and I'm cramming up on the info  
> trying to get going.
>
> My next milestone is to get t nrtworking and this is where I'm  
> coming adrift. I've got a USB-ethernet adapter that is based on the  
> ADM8515 chipset. When I plug it in I see...
>
> and that's all. I think that the driver for the Pegasus will work  
> with this chipset (though I may be wrong).
>

Are you booting the device with the usb dongle already connected?   
I've found that my usb network dongle doesn't get recognised like  
that, but if I put it in after the e3 has booted, it goes off and  
does all the things it should do - registers the device, loads the  
drivers, and grabs in ip by dhcp.  I don't profess to know why it  
works like that, but it does ;)  My usb network dongle is pegasus  
based too.

(sorry for overuse of the word dongle)

Cheers,

Dave

-- 
David Reynolds
[email-masked]