Subject: Re: [E3-hacking] PBL V5.1

From: Cliff Lawson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 16:31:38 +0100

Err, no.

(trust me on this ;-)

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Alexander [mailto:[email-masked]]
>
> As things stand now with PBL V5.1?
> Do I have a chance to use the device?

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended exclusively for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender immediately. This message is attributed to the sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of Amstrad Plc or its subsidiaries.

For further information on Amstrad Plc please visit our website: www.amstrad.com

Amstrad Plc.
Brentwood House
169 Kings Road
Brentwood
Essex CM14 4EF
Registered in England : No. 955321

WEE PRODUCER No. WEE/AF0046SY

---

From: Ralph Corderoy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 14:49:01 +0100

Hi Cliff,

> > As things stand now with PBL V5.1?  Do I have a chance to use the
> > device?
>
> Err, no.  (trust me on this ;-)

Oh, but aren't you forgetting our previous off-list conversation?  I
pointed out GPL ver. 2 says

    The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for
    making modifications to it.  For an executable work, complete source
    code means all the source code for all modules it contains, plus any
    associated interface definition files, plus the scripts used to
    control compilation and installation of the executable.

Leaving aside for the moment the fact that Amstrad never released
matching sources to the binaries, even to those paying GBP25 for a CD,
the bit in the GPL about scripts used to install means what you use to
upload firmware over the EXT serial port in the lab and factory.  And if
that signs the firmware before uploading, it includes that too.

In reply, your offer was to do the upload for anyone that sends you
their phone and firmware.  Personally, I don't think that complies and I
suspect the FSF and http://gpl-violations.org/faq/sourcecode-faq.html
would agree.

Cheers,

Ralph.

---

From: Otaku <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 19:29:41 +0100

Hi All..
JOOI, is there a list of currently known facts about the 5.1 PBL ?
I'd hate to just re-iterate what is already know.
Starter for 10 :

1) the blockcheck algorithm has changed - its no longer a simple 
bytewise add.
2) Another 2 pbl commands have been added.
3) there is now an sha256 implementation. ( Although this appears to 
only operate on a supplied buffer via one of the new commands, or on a 
modem download sequence ).

Missed anything ?
Jake

---

From: Ralph Corderoy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 12:16:04 +0100

Hi Jake,

> modem download sequence ).

As well as SHA256, I understand MD5 and RSA are used.

Cheers,

Ralph.

---

From: Otaku <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 13:08:10 +0100

Hi Ralph.
Interesting - what is your basis for this understanding ?
Jake