Subject: RE: [E3-hacking] keypad layout

From: Cliff Lawson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 17:30:26 +0100

Shades of reinventing the wheel here - I already did the Linux keyboard
layouts with
sensible key code returns to Linux (IMHO). I'm about to bugger off home for
the
weekend but if someone gives me a nudge on Monday you're welcome the to
files I
have already

(I spent AGES trying to come up with the best layout and it'd be a shame to
see this go to waste!)

By the way, if you want a good belly laugh, I'd highly recommend folks watch
Jonathan Ross at 10:35pm, BBC1 tonight for an interview with Alan about The
Apprentice and a quite "interesting" piece of Atmel AVR ATMega16 based
electronics I threw together!

Cliff

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jonathan McDowell [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Subject: Re: [E3-hacking] keypad layout

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended exclusively for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender immediately. This message is attributed to the sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of Amstrad Plc or its subsidiaries.

For further information on Amstrad Plc please visit our website: www.amstrad.com

Amstrad Plc.
Brentwood House
169 Kings Road
Brentwood
Essex CM14 4EF
Registered in England : No. 955321

---

From: Jonathan McDowell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 17:40:13 +0100

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 05:30:26PM +0100, Cliff Lawson wrote:
> Shades of reinventing the wheel here - I already did the Linux
> keyboard layouts with sensible key code returns to Linux (IMHO). I'm
> about to bugger off home for the weekend but if someone gives me a
> nudge on Monday you're welcome the to files I have already
> 
> (I spent AGES trying to come up with the best layout and it'd be a
> shame to see this go to waste!)

Sure. It's not like I haven't tried to get hold of the original source.
;)

I think there are possible 2 different layout types that are going to
make sense though:

*) The keypad setup as a device, with the keys being used to invoke
applications and so forth. I assume this is what the Amstrad layout is
like and in the long term this is the right approach I feel.

*) The keypad setup as a primary input device, with the aim of being
able to use it for the console. Personally I'm doing most of my prodding
over the serial port at present, but I get the impression this is what a
number of people want?

J.

-- 
Barndoors. Barndoors. Barndoors. Profile.
                                            Profile. VARILITE!

---

From: "James Tinmouth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 23:00:28 +0100 (BST)

WHAT IN THE HELL!!!!?!! ;)

quality......

---

From: Tolly Nelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 23:03:13 +0100

> electronics I threw together!

Err...Beautiful!

PS, why is the E3 used on The Apprentice? Unless you've hacked one up,
it can't do digital switching/multiplexing, so its not very useful for
office use, so Alan and his secretary use it??

---

From: Jasmine Strong <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 03:56:35 +0200

> electronics I threw together!

...hints for those of us not in the UK?

-J.

---

From: Will <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 08:34:05 +0100

> office use, so Alan and his secretary use it??

The obvious answer would be free advertising!

Will

---

From: Don Alexander <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 11:21:55 +0100

> ...hints for those of us not in the UK?

Dunno about that .. but it is being repeated on Sun April 2 at 1:55 am
on BBC1. If you want an avi of the relevant piece I am sure it can be
arranged?

Don.

---

From: Matt Callow <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 14:15:59 +0100

> weekend but if someone gives me a nudge on Monday you're welcome the to
Cliff, a gentle nudge. Any chance you could post these files you were talking about?

Matt