Subject: [E3-hacking] Re: OpenEmbedded woes

From: "Brendan Berney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 12:28:24 +0100

Hi David,

            I had this too. You need to add the following to the
distro/amsdelta-oe.conf file (or whatever you're using for that):

            PREFERRED_PROVIDER_task-bootstrap = "task-bootstrap"

            Also, you may need to build your uImage seperately by doing 

bitbake u-boot

            before you do any other builds.

            I have so far managed to get an OE system and footfs to boot
with a command line. I still cannot get Opie to work at all however since
there seem to be several problems with bits of it (such as bluepin) which
won't compile with the qpe-mt library due to incompatibilities with the
vtable entries therein. I have read that a static build is possible but have
been unable to get this to work. I have also tried excluding all these apps
since they seem to be largely multimedia stuff and bluetooth which I think
may be a bit advanced for the e3 at present... However, Opie won't
'assemble' without some of these and complains of unsatisfied dependencies
right at the end (a bit annoying after 2 days' compilation :-( )

            Does anyone have an unbroken Opie snapshot that actually
compiles completely? Or have I done something stupid with my distro? Maybe
GPE is better? 

Cheers,

Brendan

---

From: David Ford <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 12:54:25 +0100

>    compiles completely? Or have I done something stupid with my distro? Maybe

Hi Brendan,

>From memory (and it is several months since I did this, and I suspect
things have changed), there are a number of Opie packages that won't
work including the bluetooth stuff that needs removing to make a build
work. I will try to get chance to update my patches to work soon. My
recollection of GPE building was that it was very slow, and that there
was quite a bit of fiddling needed to get around the lack of
touchscreen.

I assume you've seen my Opie patches at
http://hu.gs/pub/E3/OpenEmbedded-patches-interim/ these should apply
cleanly to the Openembedded tree from 11th April.

I hope this is some use
David

---

From: David Given <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 22:15:24 +0100

Brendan Berney wrote:
[...]
> distro/amsdelta-oe.conf file (or whatever you’re using for that):

Ta; I'm giving it a try. Unfortunately, I tried moving my oe directory, and it
didn't like it much, so I'm now having to rebuild everything. Ho hum.

I'll also look into setting up a complete ipkg feed; I may have enough disk
space on my server.

[...]
> compiles completely? Or have I done something stupid with my distro?
> Maybe GPE is better?

I did manage to get GPE running a few months back, but I did it by taking a
Familiar image and mutilating it.

BTW, is there any technical reason why we couldn't just piggyback on the
Familiar ipkg feed rather than having to build our own? I'm not enough aware
of the subtleties involved with the differences of all the various types of
ARM ipkg to know where the pitfalls might be, but it does seem odd that simple
user-space soft-float binaries would be incompatible...

-- 
+- David Given --McQ-+ "Gaping from its single obling socket was
|  [email-masked]    | scintillating, many fauceted scarlet emerald..."
| ([email-masked]) | --- Jim Theis, _The Eye of Argon_ (spelling
+- www.cowlark.com --+ original)

---

From: Jasmine Strong <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:20:41 +0200

> user-space soft-float binaries would be incompatible...

Apart from the kernel and some bits of the video and audio stuff,
we should be compatible with the binaries used on Zaurus and
iPaq.  StrongARM-1100 and ARM925T are both ARMv4 processors.

-J.

---

From: David Given <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 19:04:38 +0100

> didn't like it much, so I'm now having to rebuild everything. Ho hum.

Still no luck, I'm afraid --- the build fails in exactly the same place
as before.

-- 
+- David Given --McQ-+ "Is Eris true?" "Everthing is true." "Even false
|  [email-masked]    | things?" "Even false things are true." "How can
| ([email-masked]) | that be?" "I don't know, man. I didn't do it!"
+- www.cowlark.com --+ --- _Prinicipa Discordia_