Subject: [E3-hacking] Native build environment

From: "Martin Whitaker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 21:45:46 -0000

Hi Folks,

In response to the people asking how I built libspectrum / fuse, and in
response to a few people who've asked me (outside of this mailing list) how
to get started building applications for the E3 I've put together a
'how-to'.

This 'how-to' caters for both Windows-only and Linux users and is aimed at
people without a huge amount of Linux experience who don't want to deal with
the hassle of cross compiling. I'm not saying cross compiling isn't the best
way of doing it, I'm just giving an alternative.

The location of the guide is: http://www.whitakernet.com/e3/

There is also a link to a quick 'how-to' specific to building libspectrum
and  Fuse, which includes the nasty hacks I did to it to get it running on
the E3 (sorry Phil - I never did get chance to tidy it up!).

I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who uses this system, there are almost
certainly still problems with it so do let me know when things either do or
don't work.

Regards,
Martin.

--
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.446 / Virus Database: 268.18.6/708 - Release Date: 02/03/2007
16:19

---

From: David Reynolds <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 22:01:04 +0000

Martin,

> certainly still problems with it so do let me know when things  

You sir, are a star :) I look forward to giving this a go.

Cheers,

Dave

-- 
David Reynolds
[email-masked]

---

From: David Reynolds <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 18:26:03 +0100

Martin,

> certainly still problems with it so do let me know when things either do or

I know this is months after you posted this, but I've just gotten around 
to giving it a try and come to a problem when running the command:

	pbltool nfs.pbl

It seems to copy the first file across ok, but then somewhere later on 
it segfaults. I have a trace [0] of the segfault if that's any help.

I don't suppose you or anyone else has come across this and could shed 
some light as to what I'm doing wrong?

I should perhaps say that I already have the OE version [1] running on 
my E3 - would that make a difference?

Any help or pointers greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

0 - http://david.reynoldsfamily.org.uk/e3/trace.out (1.7M file)
1 - http://the.earth.li/pub/e3/E3_release_v2.tar.gz

---

From: David Reynolds <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 00:26:24 +0100

It has been suggested that these might also be useful:

#0  0x080498fd in process_command (fd=3, command=0x0, buffer=0x804c170 "\n")
     at pbltool-0.2.c:488
488             if (strcmp(command, "meminfo") == 0) {

(gdb) bt
#0  0x080498fd in process_command (fd=3, command=0x0, buffer=0x804c170 "\n")
     at pbltool-0.2.c:488
#1  0x0804a289 in script_file (fd=3, fname=0xbf8a66fd "nfs.pbl")
     at pbltool-0.2.c:638
#2  0x0804a6e5 in main (argc=2, argv=0xbf8a5e94) at pbltool-0.2.c:76

Thanks,

Dave

---

From: Ralph Corderoy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 11:47:04 +0100

Hi Dave,

> #2  0x0804a6e5 in main (argc=2, argv=0xbf8a5e94) at pbltool-0.2.c:76

Yes indeed.  From the source I'd suggest ensuring nfs.pbl doesn't have
any blank lines, or lines containing just spaces.

Cheers,

Ralph.

---

From: David Reynolds <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 12:16:56 +0100

Ralph.

> any blank lines, or lines containing just spaces.

You're right, there were 2 blank lines at the end of it - now removed - 
now works.

Thanks for your help,

Dave