Subject: Re: [E3-hacking] Debian report

From: "David J. Singer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 21:03:53 +0000

> It would also make a really good platform for developing E3-specific 
> applications. 

Surely that's the whole point; otherwise it's just another Linux Arm 
development system.  The attraction for me is that with the E3 you have the 
embedded ARM processor and a lot of interesting hardware attached to turn it 
into a useful appliance.

My ultimate ambition for the E3 would be to turn it into a point-to-point 
video phone...  is that a realistic ambition? 

-- 
David J. Singer
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana"

---

From: David Given <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 21:20:25 +0100

David J. Singer wrote:
[...]
> embedded ARM processor and a lot of interesting hardware attached to turn it 

I should probably have been clearer; I meant, a platform for doing development
of applications on, rather than a platform for deploying applications on.

> video phone...  is that a realistic ambition? 

Sure. That is, after all, what Amstrad sold it for! It would be really good as
a SIP or H323 device. Unfortunately, the feeble little processor probably
isn't up to realtime video encoding, which means someone's going to have to
write some video codecs that run on the OMAP DSP, and a very brief search for
open source tools turned up a C55 assembler and no compiler... so that'll be fun.

Does anyone know where I can find some documentation on getting started with
the DSP under Linux? I found the link driver in the kernel, but I couldn't
find any other resources. Do I need a scheduler operating-system-let running
on the DSP to manage tasks? If so, where do I get one?

- --
+- David Given --McQ-+ "If you're up against someone more intelligent
|  [email-masked]    | than you are, do something insane and let him think
| ([email-masked]) | himself to death." --- Pyanfar Chanur
+- www.cowlark.com --+

---

From: Jonathan McDowell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 21:27:53 +0100

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 09:20:25PM +0100, David Given wrote:
 
> Does anyone know where I can find some documentation on getting
> started with the DSP under Linux? I found the link driver in the
> kernel, but I couldn't find any other resources. Do I need a scheduler
> operating-system-let running on the DSP to manage tasks? If so, where
> do I get one?

I haven't investigated, but I have http://dspgateway.sourceforge.net/
bookmarked for when I get round to looking at the DSP.

J.

-- 
/-\                             |  Sleep?  Isn't that some inferior
|@/  Debian GNU/Linux Developer |      replacement for caffeine?
\-                              |

---

From: David Given <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 22:39:23 +0100

Jonathan McDowell wrote:
[...]
> bookmarked for when I get round to looking at the DSP.

Gah. Didn't know why I didn't find this the first time... ta.

- --