Subject: [E3-hacking] em2001uk

From: Anthony Griffiths <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 20:42:42 +0000

I've got an amstrad emailer em2001uk that is locked up and unusable -
'Hold down (email) button to restore service', so I'm here as a
beginner to see what I can do about it. All I want is to use it as an
ordinary phone. I know my way a bit around a linux pc if that helps.
Thanks for any advice.

---

From: David Given <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 22:18:55 +0000

> ordinary phone. I know my way a bit around a linux pc if that helps.

(Did you email me directly as well?)

I haven't touched mine for ages, but... you get that message when the
emailer's unable to call home to download adverts. I *thought* they'd
disabled that requirement last year. Has your emailer been in storage
for a long time? If so it may not have downloaded the update, and if
Amstrad's servers aren't running any more you may be out of luck.

Just to check: it is plugged into a telephone line, right?

-- 
┌─── ｄｇ＠ｃｏｗｌａｒｋ．ｃｏｍ ───── http://www.cowlark.com ─────
│ "Of course, on a sufficiently small planet, 40 km/hr is, in fact,
│ sufficient to punt the elastic spherical cow into low orbit." ---
│ Brooks Moses on r.a.sf.c

---

From: Ralph Corderoy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 23:24:54 +0000

Hi Anthony,

> All I want is to use it as an ordinary phone.

If Linux isn't an aim then I'll email you the contact details of the
Emailer's designer off-list;  perhaps he can help if you contact him
directly.

Cheers, Ralph.

---

From: Anthony Griffiths <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 10:10:20 +0000

On 10/28/12, David Given <[email-masked]> wrote:
<snip>
> Just to check: it is plugged into a telephone line, right?

yes it's plugged in all correct.

---

From: Robert Brody <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 13:46:15 +0000 (UTC)

> Emailer's designer off-list;  perhaps he can help if you contact him

I have seen your email correspondence about the emailer. I have used one for a 
long time and found it extremely useful and I haven't found anything that does 
the same job. But - it has siezed up and doesn't recognise that it is plugged 
into a phone line and I also cannot access my fairly extensive directory and 
notes etc. Once before I managed to contact someone who knew the various key 
combinations to asist, but all lines seem to have died now.
If you can put me in touch with someone who knows the tricks to get this 
working again it will save me much time and effort in finding all the 
informnation again and I would be most grateful.
Hoping you can help
With my thanks
Robert Brody