Subject: RE: [E3-hacking] keypad layout

From: Cliff Lawson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 17:44:05 +0100

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jonathan McDowell [mailto:[email-masked]]
> 
> *) The keypad setup as a primary input device, with the aim of being
> able to use it for the console. Personally I'm doing most of 
> my prodding
> over the serial port at present, but I get the impression 
> this is what a
> number of people want?

Nope that's the way I've done it. I can happily run a Delta as a little
Linux computer with nothing more than the LCD screen and PS/2 keyboard as
the "console" (in fact I do it quite often). I've also arranged for the
matrix keys on top of the phone to duplicate the functionality of the
similarly named PS/2 keys (so qwerty can be used on top of phone as well if
you're a masochist with pointy fingers). The unique matrix keys generate
their own unique keycodes too.

Cliff

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended exclusively for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender immediately. This message is attributed to the sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of Amstrad Plc or its subsidiaries.

For further information on Amstrad Plc please visit our website: www.amstrad.com

Amstrad Plc.
Brentwood House
169 Kings Road
Brentwood
Essex CM14 4EF
Registered in England : No. 955321

---

From: Jonathan McDowell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 17:53:07 +0100

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 05:44:05PM +0100, Cliff Lawson wrote:
> > -----Original Message----- From: Jonathan McDowell
> > [mailto:[email-masked]]
> > 
> > able to use it for the console. Personally I'm doing most of my
> > prodding over the serial port at present, but I get the impression
> > this is what a number of people want?
> 
> Nope that's the way I've done it. I can happily run a Delta as a
> little Linux computer with nothing more than the LCD screen and PS/2
> keyboard as the "console" (in fact I do it quite often). I've also
> arranged for the matrix keys on top of the phone to duplicate the
> functionality of the similarly named PS/2 keys (so qwerty can be used
> on top of phone as well if you're a masochist with pointy fingers).
> The unique matrix keys generate their own unique keycodes too.

I think we might be talking at cross purposes here; we only have what I
think you cal the matrix keys (and I call the keypad) working; the
buttons on the top of the device itself. We haven't got the mailboard
working yet, though Matt Callow has worked out the GPIO pins and started
trying to plumb it into the serio infrastructure. Thus I was suggesting
"abusing" some of the keys on the keypad for more useful characters
until we get the mailboard operational. Of course that might happen over
the weekend. :)

J.

-- 
Web [   "42? 7 and a half million years and all you can come up    ]
site: http:// [              with is 42?!"               ]       Made by
www.earth.li/~noodles/  [                      ]         HuggieTag 0.0.23