Subject: [E3-hacking] e3-hacking starter guide

From: "Nathan Friend" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 13:59:21 +0100

Hi all, I've been lurking on this list for a while now.  Are there any e3
hacking starter guides?  I've got some e3's and would like to see what they
can do.

Cheers,

Nathan.

---

From: David Given <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 14:50:48 +0100

Nathan Friend wrote:
> Hi all, I've been lurking on this list for a while now.  Are there any
> e3 hacking starter guides?  I've got some e3's and would like to see
> what they can do.

You probably want to go here:

http://the.earth.li/pub/e3/

...and download E3_release_v2.tar.gz. This is a complete kit that (once
you make the right cable) will put a stripped-down OpenEmbedded based
Linux distro on your E3. You end up with a complete if basic distro
running from flash with about 27MB free.

That's pretty basic, but from there it's possible to bootstrap yourself
into Debian if you're sufficiently masochistic. The E3's only got USB1
which means that external storage is rather slow but it's surprisingly
useable.

-- 
David Given
[email-masked]