Subject: RE: [E3-hacking] sound?!

From: Cliff Lawson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 10:00:29 -0000

Jasmine,

I disagree with that. We've got mplayer running on Deltas and streaming
video from an NFS server but the 150MHz OMAP can only just about cope with
5fps 480x320 doing DivX decode. This would be a perfect application for
someone to look at - to port the codec part of mplayer to run as a
coprocessor task on the DSP.

Having said that the switching time on the passive STN panel is something
like 200ms (c.f. 16ms or even 8ms on your typical TFT PC panel!). So the LCD
gets a bit blurry above about 5fps anyway but it could be a SMOOTHER
"blurry" if the codec ran on the C55 ;-)

Cliff

> -----Original Message-----
> 
> ...uh, given that the DSP is basically just a C55 with a little MMU
> that can only be programmed from the ARM side, what exactly do you 
> envisage doing with it?  In cellphones it's used for mp3 playback and 
> speech coding, but that's probably not so useful on E3.
> 
> -J.

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended exclusively for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender immediately. This message is attributed to the sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of Amstrad Plc or its subsidiaries.

For further information on Amstrad Plc please visit our website: www.amstrad.com

Amstrad Plc.
Brentwood House
169 Kings Road
Brentwood
Essex CM14 4EF
Registered in England : No. 955321