Subject: [E3-hacking] familiar

From: Alexander <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 23:38:52 +0300

Hello!
Once there has been quietly ...
Someone compiling familiar to E3?
Here (http://hu.gs/pub/E3/readme), the author mentions (and the photo shows) 
on the successful installation.
Someone repeated?

---

From: David Given <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 01:44:29 +0000

> on the successful installation.

A while back I got Familiar and GPE running; it's not terribly hard, but 
very fiddly. You don't need to recompile it as the architectures are 
compatible. Unfortunately I don't have a list of what I did; these days 
I'd just use Debian instead, which is about as trivial to install as 
anything is on the E3.

-- 
David Given
[email-masked]

---

From: Alexander <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 08:04:21 +0300

> I'd just use Debian instead, which is about as trivial to install as
	
Do you have ready images? 	

I want to have a GUI, with the subsequent opportunity to realize telephone 
functions.

---

From: David Given <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 06:26:17 +0000

> Do you have ready images? 	

Not a chance.

However, Mark Underwood has a set of as-ready-to-install-as-you-get 
images for OpenEmbedded available here:

http://the.earth.li/pub/e3/

IIRC --- it was a long time ago --- I used this to install Debian by 
replacing the initrd with one from a likely-looking Debian port.

-- 
David Given
[email-masked]

---

From: Alexander <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 17:23:21 +0300

> http://the.earth.li/pub/e3/

Why not?

It now has to collect, I am familiar - and yet it was only two non-critical 
errors.

---

From: David Given <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 14:39:02 +0000

> It now has to collect, I am familiar - and yet it was only two non-critical 

I'm sorry, I have no idea what you just said. (Machine translation?)

Could you rephrase?

-- 
David Given
[email-masked]

---

From: Alexander <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 17:57:55 +0300

> I'm sorry, I have no idea what you just said. (Machine translation?)
	
Ooops! :) I don't check...

Yes, this is the translate.google.com.

I wanted to say:
Why not? Why not? I saw screenshots successful installations ...

I am compiling 'familiar' from the morning today,  and yet it was only two 
non-critical errors.

---

From: David Ford <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 17:30:54 +0000

Hi,

With regards to the familiar images at http://hu.gs/pub/e3/
I did have it compiled a couple of years back, but time has meant I've
not got around to doing much with it since then. From memory, at the
time it would mostly compile without much hassle, however to be usable,
you really needed to patch to support the resolution and the mouse in a
useful way (remember, familiar is designed for touch screens!).

Obviously my patches will be rather out of date by now, I will try to
get around to updating them at some point (although I'm going to be away
from a computer for most of the weekend, so it will not be until mid
next week at the earliest!).

Many thanks

David

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 05:57:55PM +0300, Alexander wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> e3-hacking mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://www.earth.li/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/e3-hacking
>

---

From: Don Alexander <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 15:02:03 +0000

> I'm sorry, I have no idea what you just said. (Machine translation?)
Maybe he was replying the the fact there was no image already available
for it. But my understanding is familiar is out of date anyway. Angstrom
is the new PDA/embedded/gui environment and that is based purely on OE.
I have compiled an Angstrom distro from scratch for my HP pocket PC but
i have to admit it is not for the faint hearted. Took 37 hours of
compiling on a P4 1.2GHz with 2 Gb RAM ;)

http://www.*angstrom*-distribution.org/

-- 
==

Don Alexander

E3 Development & tweaking ;)

RooSoft Ltd

---

From: Alexander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 07:42:25 +0300

> http://www.*angstrom*-distribution.org/

:)
Now I am building familiar.
After this -  Angstrom.

---

From: Alexander <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 13:37:46 +0300

So, I successfully assembled and launched familiar at E3.
However, there are a number of problems as the compilation, and with the 
subsequent work.
First, I had to make some corrections in the source code for a successful 
compilation.
Secondly, while I was not able to boot from NAND in the nucleus, but I 
successfully download the kernel using pbltool.
Then, after loading GPE observed problems with the color palette.
However, in general, this is encouraging.

Next, I plan to do to solve the problem.
Then I want to try Angstrom.

There is a wish to help me?

Photo:  http://depositfiles.com/files/4130437

PS: Sorry for my English! :)

---

From: Alexander <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 14:18:06 +0300

> http://the.earth.li/pub/e3/

Hmmm...

I tried these images, and there is no ready images with graphic environment. 
Yes it is obvious - the maximum size of 2.5 MB total.

---

From: Ralph Corderoy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 11:07:07 +0000

Hi,

> Photo:  http://depositfiles.com/files/4130437

To save others the trouble, here's just one image showing the palette
problems, without the 60 second wait before download starts and the
Poker adverts.

    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2dt3lue&s=3

Cheers,

Ralph.

---

From: David Reynolds <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 11:34:56 +0000

> Photo:  http://depositfiles.com/files/4130437

Nice work Alexander. How did you compile familiar? Would you be able  
to post a patch for the changes you made to the source to make it  
work? You could add the details of what you did to the wiki pages  
that are available: http://wiki.earth.li/E3
-- 
David Reynolds
[email-masked]