Subject: [E3-hacking] Re: E2 Watchdog timer

From: en4rab <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 02:23:37 -0800 (PST)

Yes possibly a macro could be writen for macraigors ocd debug to
periodically write 0xa5a5 to the watchdog counter reset register
inbetween commands to read other bits of memory but it would be a
tedious way to do things.
From what I recall the watchdog timer cant be disabled completely as
when the bootloader enables the WDT it also sets the freeze bit in the
WDT control register which prevents the register being changed, the only
way to clear this is a reset.
Possibly the bios could be patched to not set the freeze bit and the
patched version programmed by jtag to give a box that can have the WDT
disabled just after the CPU is halted, but i never got as far as looking
to see if/how you would flash the bios by jtag, although it could
probably be done.
I also have no idea if the bootloader would check to see if the value in
the WDT controller register had been tampered with.
That and im not sure id want to dump 8 megs of flash with a wiggler, it
would probably take a day or 2 lol, the wiggler is a very slow interface
:)
It might also be possible to dump the nand flash by allowing the emailer
to reset then writing a macro to setup the memory controller to map the
nand back into address space then read the first 512 (????) byte page
(just read the same address 512 times) then write to the chip to change
page and continue to read the next page, but until i came across the
emailer i had never heard of page mode flash so the method of
reading/writing/changing page completely boggled me, but it basically
behaves like a smartmedia card.
To read it in this manner would require some poking around the board to
see how they are generating the signal for changing page rather that
writing to flash I guessed that they are either sitting the chip on 2
chipselect lines (ie it would be mapped in 2 places) with one enabled
for read/write and the other for reading/changing page, or it has only
one chip select but with some of the address lines wired to the control
signals so for example a write to a memory address at the chips lowest
address would actually write to the chip while a write at the top of its
mapped space would change the page, but this is just a random guess, i
havent really looked into it.

Oh and apologies for hijacking the E3 mailing list with E2 stuff but i
hope some of it will be relevant, most arm boards seem to be built in a
similar manner.
en4rab

> From: Ralph Corderoy <[email-masked]>
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> 
> 
> Hi en4rab,
> 
> > If the E3 behaves like the E2 did it will have its WDT enabled and
> > locked  so about 4 or 5 seconds after you halt the CPU the WDT will
> > time out and reset the box
> 
> Code to reset the watch-dog's timer writes 0x0000a5a5 to 0xffff8004.
> 
>     e3a0c9fe  mov r12, #&3f8000
>     e24cc501  sub r12, r12, #&400000     # r12 = 0xffff8000 = WDT.
>     e3a030a5  mov r3, #&a5
>     e2833ca5  add r3, r3, #&a500         # r3 = 0xa5a5.
>     e58c3004  str r3, [r12, #4]          # wdtcntr.
> 
> Presumably, something similar could be done with JTAG to disable the
> WDT
> completely?
> 
> Cheers,
> 
> 
> Ralph.

=====
--
|     .-.   [email-masked]
|    /   \         .-.
|   /     \       /   \       .-.     .-.     _   _
+--/-------\-----/-----\-----/---\---/---\---/-\-/-\/\/---
| /         \   /       \   /     '-'     '-'
|/           '-'         '-'  -END OF TRANSMISSION-

__________________________________ 
Do you Yahoo!? 
All your favorites on one personal page – Try My Yahoo!
http://my.yahoo.com

---

From: Ralph Corderoy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:10:04 +0000

Hi en4rab,

> > > locked  so about 4 or 5 seconds after you halt the CPU the WDT
> > > will time out and reset the box
> > 
> > WDT completely?

Agreed, I was suggesting executing with JTAG a few instructions similar
to those above once to disable the WDT.  Untried:

    e3a099fe  mov r9, #&3f8000       # r9 = 0x3f8000
    e2499501  sub r9, r9, #&400000   # r9 = 0xffff8000 (WDTCTRL)
    e3a00066  mov r0, #&66           # r0 = 0x66
    e5c90000  strb r0, [r9, #0]      # WDTCTRL = 0x66 disable reset 2^29

> WDT control register which prevents the register being changed, the
> only way to clear this is a reset.

The LH79531 WDT does have a `freeze' bit, but apparently the PBL doesn't
set them.  Here's the various constants.

    addr ffff8000 WDTCTRL
        value 01 01 enable
        value 06 00 fiqintr
        value 06 02 reserved
        value 06 04 reserved
        value 06 06 reset
        value 08 08 freeze
        value 70 00 2^21
        value 70 10 2^22
        value 70 20 2^23
        value 70 30 2^24
        value 70 40 2^25
        value 70 50 2^26
        value 70 60 2^29
        value 70 70 2^31
    addr ffff8004 WDTCNTR
        value ffff a5a5 wakeup

There's two writes that are said to be in the E2 PBL.

    0298  e5c90000  strb r0, [r9, #0]   # WDTCTRL = 0x67 enable reset 2^29
    7c78  e5c01000  strb r1, [r0, #0]   # WDTCTRL = 0x7 enable reset 2^21

The first is soon after power-up.  The second is in a routine that's
called to reset the E2;  it shortens the time down to 2^21 and then
enters a never-ending loop waiting for the WDT to kick in and reset.

Perhaps there are others that do enable freeze, but I'm not aware of
anyone finding them.

> disabled just after the CPU is halted, but i never got as far as
> looking to see if/how you would flash the bios by jtag, although it
> could probably be done.

The NOR boot flash is erased in one go to 0xff and then bytes are
re-programmed to clear bits AIUI.

> That and im not sure id want to dump 8 megs of flash with a wiggler,
> it would probably take a day or 2 lol, the wiggler is a very slow
> interface :)

Amstrad use the EXP port to install their latest software when the units
arrive in the factory with PBL already on them.  They can also update
the software if it changes before the units are shipped.  I think with
JTAG you often use it to load a small program into RAM that you then
execute to ship lots of bytes around.  It uses a faster link, e.g. EXP,
to communicate.

> It might also be possible to dump the nand flash by allowing the
> emailer to reset then writing a macro to setup the memory controller
> to map the nand back into address space then read the first 512 (????)
> byte page (just read the same address 512 times) then write to the
> chip to change page and continue to read the next page, but until i
> came across the emailer i had never heard of page mode flash so the
> method of reading/writing/changing page completely boggled me, but it
> basically behaves like a smartmedia card.

I don't know how a SmartMedia card behaves.  :-)  But someone who knows
explained that once you write the appropriate Read command the NAND
flash will cycle through all the bytes, right on up to the end, on each
Read Enable strobe.  The PDF linked from my web pages does make sense
with a bit of study.

> To read it in this manner would require some poking around the board
> to see how they are generating the signal for changing page rather
> that writing to flash I guessed that they are either sitting the chip
> on 2 chipselect lines (ie it would be mapped in 2 places) with one
> enabled for read/write and the other for reading/changing page, or it
> has only one chip select but with some of the address lines wired to
> the control signals so for example a write to a memory address at the
> chips lowest address would actually write to the chip while a write at
> the top of its mapped space would change the page, but this is just a
> random guess, i havent really looked into it.

Hmm.  Can't vouch for the accuracy of any of this.  It'll make sense
with the above mentioned PDF.

    addr a0002005 nand_control
        value 01 unk01
        value 02 unk02
        value 04 unk04
        value 08 re
        value 10 unk10
        value 20 we
        value 40 ale
        value 80 cle
    addr a0002006 nand_data
        value ff 00 read_1_1
        value ff 01 read_1_2
        value ff 10 page_program_c2
        value ff 50 read_2
        value ff 60 block_erase_c1
        value ff 70 read_status
        value ff 80 page_program_c1
        value ff 90 read_id
        value ff d0 block_erase_c2
        value ff ff reset
    addr a0002007 nand_status
        value 01 busy

> hope some of it will be relevant, most arm boards seem to be built in
> a similar manner.

I asked Jonathan early on, I don't think he minds.  And the PBL is
common between the two.

Have you studied the voltages coming out of the three EXP wires on the
E2?

Cheers,

Ralph.