Subject: Re: [E3-hacking] Making life easy for you

From: Keith Nash <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 12:16:53 +0000

> To be clear this (probably) wouldn't be in the style of an E3. We'd probably
> ditch a lot of the "telephone" gubbins. It'd basically be a box (maybe
> pressed steel or something) with an E3 board at the heart (maybe with modem
> section depopulated) and the LCD/backlight module fitted into the "roof" - a
> trailing cable would go to the PS/2 QWERTY as found on the E3. So it'd just
> look like a generic little computer in a box - nothing like a telephone. I
> think we probably would put a JTAG header on it for those interested in such
> things (though maybe this isn't such a necessity now that Linux is ported)

Why go to the expense of manufacturing a special unit in small volumes?  I 
would gladly pay the difference in price (£50) to unlock a standard E3.  If 
Amstrad were to accept payment by e-commerce, I expect it would be feasible to 
unlock the phone by automatically sending the specific unit on its specific 
telephone number the required software upgrade.

There's a much bigger market that Amstrad could enter this way - 
computer-literate people who want to buy an unlocked (but not dev-enabled) 
E3, as a gift for friends and relatives who are freaked out by the 
complexity of a PC or Mac.  At the moment, the E3 is not an ideal gift, 
because the recipient has to pay for it to phone home every day, and might 
also find the adverts annoying. The giver, not the receiver, gets the benefit 
of the hardware subsidy - unless he stuffs £50 into the box before wrapping 
it up.

Keith.

---

From: "Kevin O'Donovan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 12:52:39 +0100

Heartilly seconded. I'd immediately buy two E3s if this was possible

Kev

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Nash [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 16 August 2005 13:17
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [E3-hacking] Making life easy for you

> To be clear this (probably) wouldn't be in the style of an E3. We'd 
> probably ditch a lot of the "telephone" gubbins. It'd basically be a 
> box (maybe pressed steel or something) with an E3 board at the heart 
> (maybe with modem section depopulated) and the LCD/backlight module 
> fitted into the "roof" - a trailing cable would go to the PS/2 QWERTY 
> as found on the E3. So it'd just look like a generic little computer 
> in a box - nothing like a telephone. I think we probably would put a 
> JTAG header on it for those interested in such things (though maybe 
> this isn't such a necessity now that Linux is ported)

Why go to the expense of manufacturing a special unit in small volumes?  I
would gladly pay the difference in price (£50) to unlock a standard E3.  If
Amstrad were to accept payment by e-commerce, I expect it would be feasible
to unlock the phone by automatically sending the specific unit on its
specific telephone number the required software upgrade.

There's a much bigger market that Amstrad could enter this way -
computer-literate people who want to buy an unlocked (but not dev-enabled)
E3, as a gift for friends and relatives who are freaked out by the
complexity of a PC or Mac.  At the moment, the E3 is not an ideal gift,
because the recipient has to pay for it to phone home every day, and might
also find the adverts annoying. The giver, not the receiver, gets the
benefit of the hardware subsidy - unless he stuffs £50 into the box before
wrapping it up.

Keith.