Subject: [E3-hacking] Opie Instructions

From: tuxish <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 22:01:32 +0000

Some people seem to have Opie running on their E3 yet I can find no
information wse anywhere on the internet on how to do this.

If this information does exist and I've just missed it, could someone
reply with a link or alternatively reply with information on how to do
this.

I have a USB drive (1GB) that I could format and chroot into or set as
the root fs at boot however I cannot find a root filesystem and when I
plug it in whilst using the root fs on the earth.li wiki, it doesn't
appear in /dev thus 'mount /dev/sda /mnt' will not work.

Thanks,
tuxish

---

From: David Ford <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 22:37:26 +0000

> appear in /dev thus 'mount /dev/sda /mnt' will not work.

Hi Tuxish,

As the person who got Opie working initially, I suspect I am probably
best placed to answer this. As far as I know, no binary releases of Opie
have been made available publically, and my build machine is currently
about 150 miles away from me so it is non-trivial for me to rebuild a
copy at the present time. I do however have a set of patches against
OpenEmbedded (from 12th April 2006 - which is the last time I had chance
to look at the E3 in earnest unfortunately), which are at
<http://hu.gs/pub/E3/OpenEmbedded-patches-interim/>. These patches will
probably need some updating to cope with more recent OpenEmbedded (see
http://www.openembedded.org) releases, however once you have applied the
patches, I think building an Opie image is approximately just a matter
of running bitbake opie-image.

When I get appropriate tuits (which will probably not be until sometime
next year), I will try to update the openembedded patches and possibly
release some binary images.

Thanks, let me know how you get on

David

---

From: David Reynolds <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 17:14:55 +0000

> appear in /dev thus 'mount /dev/sda /mnt' will not work.

Just idling wondering how you got with this tuxish, did you manage to  
get opie running?

Cheers,

Dave

-- 
David Reynolds
[email-masked]