Subject: [E3-hacking] E3 - can a daily reset keep video functionality free?

From: "Rahim Nathwani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:30:21 +0100

I know this may be slightly off-topic but, having read a few articles about
this beast (along with a few posts on this list, which I found just a few
minutes ago), it seems like the E3 would be a really nice device to have
around as long as it could be kept functional for voice/video without making
non-geographic calls at night.

Am I right in thinking one could do something like the below?

1) Buy an E3 (duh!).
2) Plug the E3 into an Orchid dialler (LCR box), configured to block any
calls not to 01/02 numbers.
3) Use the phone until the lack of a connection to Amstrad, Thus or whoever
means that it stops.
4) Reset it.*

* I've seen a procedure for resetting the E2, but not the E3.  Is there one?

Rahim.

---

From: Jonathan McDowell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:35:20 +0100

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 11:30:21PM +0100, Rahim Nathwani wrote:
> I know this may be slightly off-topic but, having read a few articles
> about this beast (along with a few posts on this list, which I found
> just a few minutes ago), it seems like the E3 would be a really nice
> device to have around as long as it could be kept functional for
> voice/video without making non-geographic calls at night.
>

You need to register the phone in order to be able to use it in the
first place, so you'd have to make a call after each reset anyway.

I think there's a distinction to be made about using the E3 as Amstrad
designed, but avoiding their fees (which they're pretty up front about)
and using the hardware for purposes other than they intended, but I
can't quite put my finger on what it is as I suppose both deprive
Amstrad of revenue.

J.

-- 
noodles is the quick and easy way to go for me

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:40:39 +0100

> first place, so you'd have to make a call after each reset anyway.

You don't have to register it as long as you can find an alternative
server to download a configuration file from :)

Paul

---

From: Jonathan McDowell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:44:22 +0100

> server to download a configuration file from :)

You still have to "register" and if you can fake the registration server
you can just fake the daily call as well.

J.

-- 
noodles is al's
This .sig brought to you by the letter Z and the number 22
Product of the Republic of HuggieTag

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:50:23 +0100

> you can just fake the daily call as well.

Not really. Downloading the configuration file occurs before calling
the registration .jsp. If the configuration file specifies that you
don't need to register then so be it.

Paul

---

From: Jonathan McDowell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:53:45 +0100

> don't need to register then so be it.

My point is that an initial call is required in order to obtain this
configuration file. Either you can fake this call, in which case you can
fake the nightly calls anyway, or you can't fake it, in which case you
still need to make the call every time you reset the device again I'd
have thought.

Or am I missing a third option?

J.

-- 
   noodles is made fresh usually   |  .''`.  Debian GNU/Linux Developer
              locally              | : :' :  Happy to accept PGP signed
                                   | `. `'   or encrypted mail - RSA +
                                   |   `-    DSA keys on the keyservers.